Y O U R   C A R E E R   P A R T N E R
Nursing Registrations @ Ireland
To work as a nurse or midwife in Ireland you must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
For overseas nurses, the NMBI has prepared a comprehensive guide called How to register as a nurse or midwife-a guide for all applicants who trained outside Ireland.
Before we begin your processing as an overseas applicant you must meet the following requirements to begin your application towards the NMBI:
1. Hold a current registration, or license without restriction.
2. You must have practiced for at least 12 months during that five-year period. (Kate Cowhig Recruitment require no present gap in employment)
3. Meet OET/IELTS requirements.
FIVE STEPS IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
Step 1: You need to download and complete the Overseas Registration Application Request Form.
• Personal contact details
• Division(s) of the register
• Your TRF number/OET candidate number
• Payment details
Step 2: Once NMBI has processed that form, you will receive an Overseas Registration Application Pack.
Section 1 of that pack must be completed by you. Section 2 includes forms that you should send by you to relevant authorities.
Relevant authorities must complete the forms in Section 2 of the pack and return them to NMBI. The forms include transcript(s) of training, Verification (CCPS) and Employer Reference(s). They must come from the relevant authorities, such as:
• The Higher Education Institution(s) where you trained as a nurse or midwife
• A “competent authority” which regulates the nursing and midwifery professions
• Your current or former employer
NMBI cannot accept these forms or any supporting documentation from you, the applicant. They must receive these documents from the competent authorities.
Step 3: The next step involves ensuring that relevant authorities complete their forms and return them directly to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). Once you have set up an online account with NMBI following receipt of your Overseas Registration Application Pack you will be able to track your application and see which forms have been received by NMBI.
Step 4: NMBI will carry out an assessment of your application. This can only begin when they have received all the completed forms and documents in the Overseas Registration Application Pack.
Step 5: They will issue a decision letter with one of four possible outcomes of the assessment.